Extraordinary Means Just That – Beyond The Ordinary
Contrarian: A person who takes up a contrary position, especially a position opposed to the majority view, regardless of how unpopular it is.
– Webster’s Dictionary
Thinking Perspectives: Constructive Contrarian Insights
Ozan Virol is a rocket scientist turned author, award-winning law professor, and inventive rethinker. At heart, he’s an avowed and exceedingly interesting contrarian. Through his articles and interviews, he shows how extraordinary thinking produces extraordinary results, whether at work or at the next dinner party. He helps us reconsider the underlying opportunities in these times of neuroscience discovery, our Galileo Mind Moment.
- And don’t misunderstand the potentially negative implications of his identity as a ‘contrarian!’ You’ll understand why when you listen in.
Note: Consider his team: thousands who are members of his exclusive email list span multiple industries. They’re New York Times bestselling authors, lawyers, musicians, corporate executives, doctors, and constitutional court judges. But above all, they’re pioneers and rebels. They have a passion for redefining the status quo and challenging deeply held views about how the world works. They know that they can’t get ahead if they simply follow what others are doing. Data and experience speak out.
I think what’s always important is not to be contrarian for its own sake but to really get at the truth.
- A native of Istanbul, Turkey, Ozan grew up in a family of no English speakers. He learned English as a second language and moved to the United States by himself at 17 to attend Cornell University and major in planetary science, his childhood dream.
- While there, he served on the operations team for the 2003 Mars Exploration Rovers project that sent two rovers–Spirit and Opportunity–to Mars. He built stuff that went to the red planet and wrote code that snaps photos of the Martian surface.
- Then, he walked away from it all and became a law professor to influence others to make interplanetary leaps on this planet. He graduated first in his class from law school, earning the highest grade point average in his law school’s history since the introduction of the 4-point grading scale. Listen up, you will enjoy his razor-sharp mind.
- You can learn more about his journey in an article about Dr. Varol that was published in TIME.
- He’s currently a professor at Lewis & Clark Law School in beautiful Portland, Oregon.
- He has written numerous award-winning articles that are taught in colleges and graduate schools.
- His academic work has focused on challenging conventional wisdom on constitutional design and democratic revolutions. Society and politics, self-management and constructive boundary management is his current focus.
- He has been featured in various domestic and foreign media, including BBC, TIME, CNN, Washington Post, Slate, and Foreign Policy.
- He has advised the U.S. Department of Defense, given lectures at foreign constitutional courts, and presented at businesses, non-profits, and government institutions, including the U.S. Department of State.
Website & Book
- The Democratic Coup D’Etat – Varol – Nov. 2017 – Global Amazon Link “Thought provoking and counterintuitive.”
- Constitutional Stickiness, – Varol – 49 UC Davis Law Review 899 (2016)
- Speaking and Contact Page
Forward This Audio Message Link To a Friend
Until next time, thanks Ozan for joining us again here at CBJ to review the several complexities of reconsidering outdated beliefs and accepted dogma not based on the reality of data. New telescopes and tools now improve diagnostic, treatment and self-management options. Your remarks help us address the earthly reality of personal change.
Do you have some feedback you’d like to share?
- Please leave a note in the comment section below↓.
- If you enjoyed this episode, please take a moment to also share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
- Alternatively, please leave an honest review of the CoreBrain Journal Podcast on iTunes.
- Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. Reviews do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each one of them.
In closing, if you have any questions, drop a comment on any posting here at CBJ, and I’ll get back to you. This discerning collection of world-class experts is here for you, your families, and your clients – to tighten our collaborative dialogue for more precise answers.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates, or if you’re on an Android Device subscribe for timely updates at Google Play. Yes, these extraordinary experts, with hundreds of years of combined experience, are free.
Thanks, Ozan for your encouraging observations on the evolutionary challenges associated with science and society.
Our Next CoreBrain Journal Episode
167 Chad Cooper MBA – Chad is a coach leading a life of example, retired at 35 years old, he coaches and mentors across several fields in order to inspire others to grasp their dreams and execute with passion. Chad is the owner of Factive Nautics Coaching and a Platinum/Master Coach for the Robbins Research International organization (defined purposeful coaching with clear direction). His new book on audio, Time Isn’t The Problem You Are- Four Strategies to Transform Stress into Success. This information is helpful, teaching people how to be more successful in all aspects of their life by people learning how to make time serve them. Listen in to his tips on the Reality of Time.
Produced By Studio Center – 7 Locations Nationally