ADHD Kids: Challenges With The Law
While the CDC estimates that ADHD occurs in 10% of the general population, its prevalence in our jails has been estimated at 50% or higher. Additionally, in about 65% of cases, ADHD is present with a co-occurring mental health condition. Studies also show that inmates with related mental health conditions stay in the system between 5 and 8 times longer than inmates without mental health impairments. This is further compounded by the fact that the risk of substance abuse disorder doubles when ADHD is present and further triples when ADHD is present with Conduct Disorder.
~ Robert Tudisco
Robert Tudisco – A Lawyer Experienced With ADHD Kids
Here Robert takes on many imperatives that surround ADHD children with legal issues – and gives us hard, straight answers. Consider this essential perspective: children and adolescents with ADHD & co-occurring conditions experience a much higher risk of school discipline & criminal prosecution.
Robert is a nationally recognized author, motivational speaker, and non-profit management consultant, in addition to being a practicing attorney at the law firm of Barger & Gaines, in Irvington NY.
My firm recommendation for those interested in ADHD kids and the law: This mandatory listen to lawyer
- He is a past member of the National Board of Directors of Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder (CHADD), serving as a member of its Public Policy Committee since 2003, and as Committee Chair from 2005 through 2008. Robert is also a former Vice President of the Attention Deficit Disorder Association (ADDA).
- Since his diagnosis, he has researched and written extensively on the subject of special education law and disability advocacy, as well as the over-representation of individuals with ADHD and co-occurring mental health conditions in the juvenile/criminal justice systems, compared to that in the general population.
- He is a frequent resource for the media on these subjects including CBS News, New York Times Magazine, Newsweek, ABC News, The BBC, NBC’s Today Show, CNN, USA Today, Seattle Times. Robert has been published in ATTENTION® Magazine and regularly contributes to adult, parenting, and legal issues, in addition to serving on its Editorial Advisory Board from 2004 through 2014.
- He was also the legal expert columnist for ADDitude Magazine from 2007 through 2012.
How – Rob’s Legal Insights On ADHD Kids: Law, Child, School, & Parental Options
- His personal story – the first epiphany
- He began to see patterns in those he represented
- Red flags for challenges in the legal community
- Diagnosis goes far beyond proper legal defense
- Dr. Jennifer Freed is on a similar mission – Dr. Freed’s CBJ Episode Here: CBJ/035
- “Under the law” details: the school, parents, and your child
- Prevent reoccurrences of the same disciplinary challenges
- Note: Get your child out of the line of fire
- Excellent review of the larger picture – girls, ADD, comorbid diagnoses
- The important issue of diversion – kids sharing drugs
CoreBrain Academy Training Details
- Preview these CoreBrain Academy ADHD Coursework details:
- – ADHD101 – 55 lessons + coaching: How to Measure, Target , & Treat brain/biomedical realities https://www.corebrainacademy.com/courses/adhd-treatment-failure
- The PM Drop – ADHD Minicourse: Learn how to use these most common problems to correct Treatment Failure results & comorbid conditions not initially recognized.
- Prediction Rules – Know & Use Basic Science Med Rules before starting any stimulant medications. https://www.corebrainacademy.com/courses/prediction-rules
Easily Forward This Audio Message Link To a Friend
Robert Tudisco’s Connections
- His Website: http://roberttudisco.com
- Robert Tudisco Video Interview: with Jeff Copper on the important topic of Prosecution: Jail vs. Probation
- His Twitter: https://twitter.com/rtudisco
- YouTube: Videos
Other References On Topic
- Go Undiagnosed, Go Directly to Jail? The Truth About Adult ADHD and Crime, Jeff Emmerson, Feb 8, 2014 – Excellent Post
- The Relationship of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder to Crime and Delinquency: A Meta-Analysis, Pratt, T, et al. – Abstract
- Long-term Consequences of Childhood ADHD on Criminal Activities, Jason Fletcher, Barbara Wolfe – Full Pub Med Article
- Many CBJ Experts On Parenting: https://corebrainjournal.com/teen
- CBJ Comments From Critical Thinkers: https://corebrainjournal.com/critical
- CBJ Experts on Relationships: https://corebrainjournal.com/relationships
- ADHD, Prisoners, Opiates – CBJ Expert: Dr. Beth Battinelli – CBJ/212
- Opiates, Addiction Treatment, and ADHD: CBJ Expert: Dr. George Bright – CBJ/102
Produced By Studio Center – 7 Locations Nationally
To Update Your Mind | Subscribe – CoreBrain Journal
Global Thought Leaders Improve Precise Thinking For You & Your Family
- Interesting, Important and helpfulApril 28, 2018 by J.M.I from Sweden
- I am listening in from Sweden, and I learn so much from Dr Parker and his interesting guests. Sadly, information like this is hard to find amongst practitioners here, and underlying factors to symptoms are of little interest. I am thankful to Dr Parker dedicating time in spreading word about helping people with psycological dysfunctions from a non conventional angle. Thank you!
- Core Brain Journal–NeuropsychologyMay 25, 2017 by Dr Terry James Gingras from United States
- Just finished session 118 with neuropsychologist, Dr. Braun. Excellent content presented in a relaxed style. I’m a neuropsychoogist with a specialization In ADHD so I appreciate both Dr. Parker’s and Dr. Braun’s efforts demystifying the practice of neuropsychology.
- Exceptional interviews !!May 16, 2017 by MCVGRL from United States
- Core Brain Journal, with Dr. Charles Parker is a must listen for a wide audience. If you are either the individual, suffering from complex personal medical/ psychological issues; or a family member, friend… please tune in often.
- Podcast 107 (Brain Health) – Very informative!April 13, 2017 by ad1978mke from United States
- I especially liked this Podcast because it provided a wealth of valuable brain health research and tips in an approachable, easy-to-listen-to format. The rapport between the Guest Speaker (Dr. Braun) and Host (Dr. Parker) was evident, and I hope to hear another Podcast with this Guest Speaker!
- Top quality informationFebruary 5, 2017 by MD Ireland from Ireland
- As a functional medicine doc I found this iterview stimulating, inspiring and it is full of clinically useful information
- FascinatingFebruary 1, 2017 by jinki1 from United States
- If you love science and psychology, then this is for you. The brain is such a mysterious machine, and listening to experts discuss how it works is fascinating. This seems like a pick-and-choose type podcast: I’ll skip the shows focusing on estrogen and alzeimer’s and go for creativity, anxiety, music, and others. But what I’ve listened to so far is great.
- My Brain Thanks You!January 13, 2017 by B. Keenan Johnston from United States
- Thanks for shedding some much needed light on issues of the brain. I recently became interested in the subject when I was listening to NPR do a segment on neuroplasticity. I could never remember the name of the author, but it helped me find this great podcast!
- Flipping Junkie ReviewDecember 23, 2016 by Danny Johnson -Flipping Junkie from United States
- Awesome podcast! I really loved the bipolar episode. Wonderful insight into these issues. Keep up the good work!
- “How I Found Myself” Dean RobertsDecember 2, 2016 by Don Hutcheson from United States
- I just had the pleasure of listening to Dr. Charles Parker’s latest interview with Mr. Dean Roberts on the topic: “How I Found Myself.” The thesis of this remarkable podcast is that the difference between treatment success and failure for conditions such as depression, anxiety, ADHD, PTSD and others is often the result of omitting crucial brain, biomedical, and functional neuroscience information and insights. Well done and much-needed. Wish you continuing success!
- I may be a geek…November 19, 2016 by JHHealy from United States
- But as an addictions recovery coach I find this brain science utterly amazing! Great show, love it!
- Keep up the Great work Dr ChuckNovember 18, 2016 by imupat3am from United States
- Just finished listening to the lateste episode with Dr Kelly Morrow-Baez the epsiode was about her and working with women ages 45-60…. Great podcast will be listening to more
- GROUND SHAKINGNovember 13, 2016 by Restlesstaxpayer from United States
- Your shows are always very informative but the last two with Tom O’Brien andDavid Siever are absolutely revolutionary every doctor in the country should listen to both of them twice a day I cannot overstate how important this information is I am sending links to everyone I care about Thank you
- 21st Century PioneerSeptember 16, 2016 by Louis Di Bianco from Canada
- Dr. Charles Parker offers us cutting edge knowledge in our rapidly changing world. The episde on music healing si a breath of fresh air. We need more natural healing alternatives like this one. It’s easy to understand how music heals when you know that everything in our world is energy. Thank you for this important show.
- Episode 46 – such important work!September 16, 2016 by Michelle at Inner North Star from United States
- I have done quite a bit of work around Post Traumatic Stress, being a Veteran and First Responder myself. This work with music/sound therapy is very interesting and this episode is well worth the listen. This podcast has relevant information we can all benfit from!
- Very informative and filled with valueJune 19, 2016 by Jimwj from United States
- This is an excellent podcast which provides smart, science-based, information which focuses on the mind and body. Great podcast. Check it out.
- Very informative!June 13, 2016 by Thomas O’Grady, PhD from United States
- I’ve listened to a few episodes and this was an interesting podcast.
- Loved the episode with peggyJune 11, 2016 by Courageous1 from United States
- Great work Charles – Love the episode with Peggy about anxiety. Keep it up!
- Fresh Mind ScienceJune 10, 2016 by ADHD reWired from United States
- This is a great podcast for anyone interested in learning more about the brain and are looking for solutions. Great for clinicans, coaches and consumers. Thank you for creating this podcast!
- Valuable InformationJune 10, 2016 by dannytay92 from United States
- Dr. Parker is a friendly, easy-to-listen to host, and this content is so valuable. All of us know people who could benefit from the specific topics of each episode.
- Truly Meaningful ContentJune 10, 2016 by No More Obstacles from United States
- If you have a loved one with bipolar disorder or live with it yourself, do NOT miss that episode! Dr. Parker brings serious science to specific issues in an accesible, applicable way. Really, really good.
- Stellar podcast!May 27, 2016 by Tara Williams Phone from United States
- I’m all about the mind and body connection, it’s time we American’s realize the power of both. There are so many amazing things to do in this world and I love that Dr. Parker is reminding us!
- This helpsMay 27, 2016 by JenRiday from United States
- My brother-in-law has bipolar and it’s interesting to listen to this and hopefully better understand him. Very helpful!
- The Complex made Simple – #PWpeeps – Doc and JockApril 29, 2016 by JoeShu2326 from United States
- The brain is complex and the issues surrounding often convoluted. Not on this podcast! Dr. parker breaks it down simply and concisely!
- FantasticApril 22, 2016 by HappyCoffeeLady44 from United States
- Finally someone who brings the mind and body together!
- ExcellentApril 16, 2016 by M_Glover_88 from United Kingdom
- This is a fantastic show. Really great info about a subject I have a huge interest in. Looking forward to more!
- Very smart podcast about the epic mind.April 16, 2016 by dustspecks from United States
- Very smart host with very smart guest. This is a great show that can be utilized to dive into the inner workings of the mind and get up to date information about the mind.
- Excited!April 15, 2016 by SeeinADHD.com from United States
- As an ADHD Coach, I’m excited to have another quality podcast to recommend to my clients. The mind and body are indeed connected, I’m looking forward to more!
- Excellent!!April 15, 2016 by Italykittyjc from United States
- Excellent podcast with awesome content. Very well done. Very informative. Looking forward to listening to more episodes. Great job.