CBD – Epidiolex For Epilepsy and Brain Injury
Dr. Michael D. Lewis is an expert on nutritional and holistic interventions for brain health, particularly the use of omega-3 fatty acids and CBD Oil for the prevention, management, and rehabilitation of concussions and traumatic brain injury (TBI). In this CBJ Episode, he discusses a new product, Epidiolex, which uses CBD Oil for epilepsy and brain injury. See the references below for more specific research information about FDA approval.
He founded the Brain Health Education and Research Institute in late 2011 upon retiring as a Colonel after a distinguished thirty-one-year career in the US Army. His remarks are researched, informed and delivered from the voice of experience.
Ed Note: This is his third [previous CBJ posts on Concussions/TBI: CBJ/171, CBJ/224] interesting interview here that discusses medical details of CBD oil applications for multiple levels of brain and body recovery.
Dr. Lewis’ Brain-Focused Bio
In late 2011 upon retiring as a Colonel after a distinguished thirty-one-year career in the US Army. His pioneering work in the military and since has helped thousands of people around the world and is regularly featured in the media, including CNN’s Sanjay Gupta, MD, show and numerous radio shows and podcasts.
A graduate of the US Military Academy at West Point and Tulane University School of Medicine, Dr. Lewis is board-certified and a fellow of the American Colleges of Preventive Medicine and Nutrition. He completed postgraduate training at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Johns Hopkins University, and the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.
He is currently in private practice in Potomac, Maryland (BrainCARE, www.BrainCARE.center); is a consultant to the US Army and Navy as well as several organizations, institutes, and nutrition companies around the world; and is a founding member of the Pop Warner Youth Football Medical Advisory Board.
Treatment Links and References, Amended 8-28-18
- His Book: When Brains Collide: What Every Athlete and Parent Should Know About the Prevention and Treatment of Concussions and Head Injuries: Michael D. Lewis MD – Global Amazon Link
- Greenwich Biosciences – Epidiolex Physician Clinical Program – Indications & Research
- Additional bonus: Dr. Lewis CBD Oil Discount for CBJ Listeners: 15% discount at PlusCBDOil.com – use the discount code: radio2017 – No Time Limit on this offer.
- See this excellent series of Video Explanations on CTE at CNN – with a discussion of this testing.
- Banyan Biomarkers Testing – The concussion test is discussed at CBJ/224.
- Dr. Lewis’ Website: www.brainhealtheducation.org with deeper details and downloads on the Omega-3 recommendations discussed briefly in this and his other interviews.
- His BrainCARE Center: www.BrainCARE.center
- Dosing & Research: https://www.projectcbd.org/science/cannabis-dosing/cannabis-dosing-101
Multiple Additional CBJ Experts on TBI, CTE, CBD
- http://corebrainjournal.com/vets Our CBJ Dedicated to the Vets Page, Listen to Jocko there
- CBJ/012 – Concussion and Suicide – Liu
- CBJ/127 – Brain Injury Resource Support Group – Bono
- CBJ/114 – Hemingway’s Brain and CTE – Farah
- CBJ/171 – Brain Injury Recovery and Prevention – Lewis
- CBJ/176 – Cannabinoids and Brain Injury – Patel
- CBJ/162 – Brain Injury Insights – DeWitt
- CBJ/224 – Brain Testing For Concussion – Lewis
- CBD/244 – Brains Bullies and Lessons – Fraser
Forward This Audio Message Link To a Friend
Thanks, Dr. Lewis, for joining us again here at CBJ to review these personal observations about your research and practice a variety of brain relevant materials!
Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the CoreBrain Journal Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and much appreciated. Reviews do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each one of them. Be counted.
If this post with these several references is helpful, please take a moment to pass it on.
In closing, if you have any questions, drop a comment on any posting here at CBJ, and I’ll get back to you. This discerning show of world-class experts is here for you, your families, and your clients – to tighten our collective dialogue for more precise answers.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates, or if you’re on an Android Device subscribe for timely updates at Google Play. Yes, these extraordinary experts with hundreds of years of combined experience are free.
Our Next CoreBrain Journal Episode
251 Duane K. L. France is a clinical mental health counselor, currently serving as the Director of Veteran Services at The Family Care Center, a private mental health counseling agency specializing in the unique needs of military service members, veterans, and their families. He is also the Executive Director of the Colorado Veterans Health and Wellness Agency, a 501(c)3 Nonprofit affiliated with the Family Care Center.
Duane talks more explicitly about the challenges of return, recovery and comprehensive treatment essentials.
Duane is a retired Army Noncommissioned Officer and combat veteran, having served in deployments to Iraq, Afghanistan, North Africa, and Bosnia-Herzegovina. After retirement, he served as Program Director for the Colorado Veterans Resource Coalition, a 501(c)3 Nonprofit that provides emergency and transitional housing to veterans participating in programs at the local Department of Veterans Affairs clinic. Since transitioning to full-time clinical mental health counseling, Mr. France has provided mental health counseling services to the Colorado Fourth Judicial District Veteran Trauma Court.
He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology from Excelsior College of Albany, New York and a Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Adams State University of Alamosa, Colorado.
In 2015, Mr. France was selected as one of five Military Scholars in the nation by the National Board of Certified Counselors Foundation, and in 2016 was selected as the awardee of the 2016 NBCC Foundation Capacity Building Grant. Duane is passionate about veteran mental health and feels strongly that those who have served in the military can continue to provide value to their community long after that service has ended.